From Ouma Annatjie’s Kitchen – Beef Olives
20 May 2020
2 pieces of Bolo/Mock Tender slices per person
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Mustard powder to taste
½ a piece of streaky bacon per portion
1 onion, finely chopped
Enough Mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 small piece of garlic per portion
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Pound the meat lightly to make it even. Arrange all the meat on a working surface and season with salt, pepper and mustard powder.
- Place ½ a piece of bacon on each slice. Add 2 tsp of onion to each piece and spread evenly. Also add mushrooms and garlic to each slice. Roll the meat and tie with a thin piece of string or keep together with a tooth pick.
- Heat enough oil and butter in a heavy-duty pan and cook the meat until it is browned evenly. Pack the beef olives in a single layer in an oven casserole.
- Saute remaining mushrooms and onion and spread over the meat. Add just enough beef stock to almost cover the beef olives.
- Cover the casserole and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove from the oven and place the beef olives in a serving dish.
- Use the remainder of the sauce and cook in a pan until it thickens. Remove from the heat and add a dash of cream.
- Add some of the sauce to the Beef Olives and serve the rest separately.
- Serve with Mash Potatoes, red cabbage and green vegetables like green beans or spinach.
Pairs perfectly with our Ansela van de Caab.