From Ouma Annatjie’s Kitchen – Bacon & Mushroom Tartlets
06 May 2020
Bacon & Mushroom Tartlets
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100g Cake Flour
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Nutmeg
4 tsp (20ml) butter
1 tbsp (15ml) sunflower oil
8 pieces of streaky bacon, cut in half
8 button mushrooms, cut into thin slices
Black pepper to taste
1 tsp (5ml) dried thyme
- Lightly beat the eggs and the milk together.
- Sift the flour and the salt together in a mixing bowl. Make a hole in the middle and add the egg mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients in circles starting from the inside and working towards the outside. Mix until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Add the nutmeg and oil. The batter should be the same consistency as a thick cream but add a little bit of milk if your batter is too thick. Leave the batter to rest for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C and us the butter to grease 4 x oven bake dishes that are about 15cm in diameter
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Add the mushrooms. Season with black pepper & Thyme and cook until the mushrooms are soft.
- Divide the mushroom & bacon mixture between the oven dishes and pour the batter over the mixture, dividing it equally. Bake for 10 minutes or until the tartlets are golden brown. Serve immediately
Pairs perfectly with our Muratie Alberta Annemarie Merlot