From Ouma Annatjie’s Kitchen – Apple Tart with Honey
Apple tart with Honey
125ml (120g) Margarine
125ml (60g) Castor sugar
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
½ tsp (2.5ml) baking powder
Pinch of salt
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
2 – 3 cooked apples, cut into slices
2 tbsp chopped walnuts or almonds
1 tbsp lemon peel, grated
2 tbsp (30ml) butter
2 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and grease a square oven dish with butter.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk to the creamed margarine slowly. Mix well as soon as all the ingredients have been added.
- Add half of the dough to your oven dish and arrange your apple slices on top.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the apple and add the remaining dough.
- Bake the tart for approximately 40 minutes.
- Melt the butter and the honey together in a small pot and mix well.
- Prick the tart crust when you remove from the oven and add the honey as well as the grated lemon peel.
- Serve immediately with thick cream.
Pairs perfectly with our Ben Prins Cape Vintage.